Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What to do with Old Bananas...


A few years back I went in search of a great banana bread recipe. You see, I had a young child who would go through phases of loving bananas and then not loving them. I constantly had ripe bananas on my hand. It seems wasteful to throw them away, but in my quest of healthy eating and living, I couldn't see making this horribly sugary and fattening bread.

So...I found this recipe (I wish I could remember where) but I have modified it for three years, and finally have a moist and yummy...yet HEALTHY muffin.

1 3/4 cup flour (1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar (I substitute splenda)
1 egg beaten
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup milk (1 cup when using whole wheat flour)
chocolate chips (optional)





Preheat oven to 350 and butter muffin pan, or loaf pan. Sift together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, combine egg, bananas, and milk. Then stir in dry mixture until just blended. Transfer batter to loaf pan or muffin pan. Bake 50 minutes, or 25-30 for whole wheat mixture.

This recipe really taught me a lot about baking with whole wheat flour. While it is the healthier option, it really is not the best option for baking. You need a higher fluid content and lower flour content. This can take several tries before you get it just right. Like I said, this one has taken me three years to figure out! Enjoy!

No comments: