Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Homemade what?


I attempted to make homemade ravioli last night. Yes, I know...I did this with a one year old at my feet and a four year old screaming in the bathroom that my services (my wiping services that is) were needed--of which I did not give until I was completely done in the kitchen.

I must say that it was good...not great...but good. I really need a pasta machine to roll it out even thinner. The problem was that it was too thick and I didn't cook it long enough. But, for my first go around...not so bad.




So, you might be asking WHY would I do this? Well, in my quest to find healthy foods that don't contain white flour, white sugar, trans fats, or high fructose corn syrup, I can honestly say that ravioli has been a food I have given up. But, I don't have to if I can learn to make whole wheat pasta dough. What a great idea!

I made the dough and immediately noticed that it was too dry...that is very typical for using whole wheat flour. I had to add an extra TBLS of olive oil. I let it sit in a bowl covered for about an hour, and I rushed to the store to get the rest of my ingredients. I came home and started rolling, rolling, and rolling some more. I really felt it looked to thick to make the ravioli, but truth be told, my wrists could take no more rolling. My next kitchen gadget will be a pasta maker...yeah!

For the filling I just mixed:
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (low-fat)
1/2 cup low fat mozzerella
1/2 cup parmesean cheese
2 garlic cloves chopped

I mixed it all together in a bowl. I put about a TBLS of filling in each ravioli. I also couldn't figure out how to cut out the ravioli, so I used an egg shaped cookie cutter (from Easter).






After I put in the filling, I dabbed the edges with water and folded them over. I let them sit out for about 15 minutes to kind of dry out. I think if I do it again, that will be the step I make longer. I will post the website of the recipe I used, which I got from Allrecipes.com, but I honestly think it was too dry.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Whole-Wheat-Pasta/Detail.aspx?prop31=2

I will definitely be trying to refine this recipe and process, because it was not such a bad place to start. I must start shopping now for my pasta machine!

2 comments:

KAT said...

I think these look really great! Hooray for you for tackling a huge project like this and having it come out so good! I wish I could have tasted them...YUM!

Anonymous said...

With regards to the olive oil, I highly recommend trying the extra-virgin olive oil from

href="http://www.holyfoodimports.com">Holy Food Imports
.
It is imported to the US from Israel, and it is produced using cold presses,
as was the method over 3,000 years ago.
I've been using it for all the special recipes I cook and I find that it greatly enhances the flavor.