Wednesday, May 28, 2008

mmmm...the classic



I was browsing my favorite foodie blog, pickypalate, and she made these delicious looking chocolate chip cookies. She gives references on her site about where she found the recipe...so go check it out by clicking on picky palate on the sidebar.

I am always on the hunt for the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe...it has to be soft and gooey on the inside, and slightly crisp on the outside. In my opinion, Paradise Bakery has the BEST chocolate chip cookies EVER! The pics of the recipe on picky palate, made me think these could be a close second. I made a few tweeks to the original recipe and they came out absolutely delicious!

Levain Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Copycats
8 ounces (two sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
3/4 cup granulated sugar (I used 1/2 cup granulated sugar)
3/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1 cup brown sugar)
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups BREAD flour (13 1/2 oz)(I used 3 cups enriched flour)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 to 1 1/3 cups coarsely chopped, untoasted walnuts (I didn't have walnuts, so we went without)Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
I also added 1 teaspoon vanilla



Beat butter and both sugars just until they come together. Don’t overbeat. Add the egg and beat just until incorporated. Mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. When thoroughly mixed, add to batter and stir just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. The dough should be neither sticky nor dry.
Divide dough into about 12 mounds, but keep the mounds kind of raggedy. That is, don’t smash them into compact balls. Bake on ungreased insulated cookie sheet or an upside down rimmed cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 350 (I baked mine for 11-13 minutes). Cool on sheet for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
This should make a dozen 4 oz. cookies or eight 6 oz. cookies

No comments: