Thursday, April 24, 2008

An Oldie but a Goodie!


Growing up, one of my favorite meals was my mom's Waikaii Meatballs. Where she got this recipe, I will never know...but I do know it was absolutely one of my favorite! I made it the other night and served it over brown rice. My husband is not a fan of brown rice, as he is Korean and only loves his white rice. But, I am constantly making attempts to make our regular meals healthy. That is exactly what this is...a simple, yet delicious everyday meal. Enjoy!



Meatballs:
1-1 1/2 lb ground beef
2/3 cup bread crumbs ( I made mine from whole wheat bread)
1/3 cup minced onion
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp ginger

Sauce:
2 TBLS cornstarch (I used flour)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (more if needed)
1 can pineapple chunks (reserve syrup/juice)
1/3 cup vinegar
1 TBLS soy sauce
1/3 cup chopped green pepper

Mix meat, crumbs, onion, eggs, salt, ginger and milk. Shape into balls. Brown and cook meatballs.

Mix cornstarch and sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar, and soy sauce until smooth. Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add meatballs, pineapple chunks, and green pepper, heat through.

This has a very strong sweet and sour taste to it...you can adjust the vinegar and sugar to your tasting!

1 comment:

Deb said...

This looks great - especially with the pineapples. Thanks for sharing. =)